Monday, October 17, 2005

Rain in Southern California

I think there is an old 70's song that says something about it never raining in Southern California - well, the song is wrong - it is raining today. I love it.

While the eternal sunshine of this place is sometimes welcome. I always appreciate a nice gloomy day here and there. It reminds me of home (the Midwest) and always cleans the place up. Think about it - Southern California gets virtually no rain at all from May - September. Accordingly, things get a little dusty and grimy. So, a good rain at the end of this long dry spell is much appreciated.

Additionally, the rain cleans all the crap (i.e., smog) out of the air. My favorite Southern California days are those crisp (crisp being 50 degrees or so) winter mornings after a night time rain. The sky is so blue, you can see forever, and, if you are lucky, the mountains (which you cannot normally see) have snow on the peaks. One day like that and you forget all the hot smoggy days. Of course, it is made all the better by the fact that this day occurs in January when all of my friends and family back east are freezing to death.

So, it rained last night and the rain continues today. A good Monday. To make it even better, my employees brought me cookies and a Corner Bakery gift card as it is boss's day (a fact I did not even know). Little things like this make me appreciate life so much more.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home